The theme for 2020 is IMAGE.
Submissions are now open. You can find the entry regulations below.
This year, Microflix invites authors to submit microlit texts on the theme of IMAGE for adaptation by filmmakers. The texts submitted will be reviewed by microlit specialist and Spineless Wonders’ editor Associate Professor Cassandra Atherton. Submissions will be accepted until 1 February, 2020 and those selected by Cassandra will be included in the 2020 IMAGE Texts section on this website.
Exploring the theme of IMAGE
We are looking for short prose writing of any genre which reflects on the theme of IMAGE. You may wish to reflect on image vs reality, on the use, misuse and changing role of image and images over time. Or you may think about the image (and imagery) in terms of the imagination. Whether you turn to doppelgangers, alter egos, clones, dead ringers, avatars, simulacra or chips of the old blocks… be sure to take a fresh approach. We are looking for writing that will zing off the page and onto the screen.
Microflix Writing Awards
The Microflix Awards offered each year aim to reward and value the roles of both the author and the filmmaker in the adaptation process. For this reason we offer both the Microflix Awards to both authors and filmmakers.
The 2020 Microflix Writers Award, a $500 cash prize, is made possible by a grant by the Copyright Australia Cultural Fund. Prizes for Highly Recommended and Recommended Writers include discounts on writers’ centre memberships and other resources for writers as well as book packages.
Our panel of jurists will select winner of the
Submissions are called for microliterature for the 2020 Microflix
Writing Awards. Submission will be curated on behalf of the Microflix
Festival by the Australian publishing house, Spineless Wonders . Please
read the following carefully:
Microflix Writing Award Regulations
- Submissions must respond in prose form to the theme of IMAGE.
- Submissions can be up to 400 words in length.
- Entry is open to anyone living in Australia and Australians residing overseas.
- Entry is free.
- Each entry can consist of up to three pieces of microliterature.
- Submissions will only be accepted via Submission Manager.
- Submission deadline is midnight AEST, February 1 2020.
- Submissions which are selected for inclusion in the 2020 Microflix Awards will be made available in pdf format on the Microflix website from until August 1 2020.
- Submissions which are adapted into films which then go on to be selected as finalists by the Microflix jurists will be eligible for the Microflix Writers Awards.
- The Microflix Writers Awards consists of a $500 cash prize as well as book packages and resources for writers.
Any queries, email info[at]shortaustralianstories[dot]com[dot]au
To submit, go to Submissions for Microflix Writing Awards.